The Western Australian Government announced this week that Aventuur, a global surf park developer and investor with Perth and Los Angeles offices, would be the preferred developer of Western Australia’s first surf park. Aventuur’s $80 million proposal, featuring Wavegarden wave technology, was selected by the Western Australian Government via a bidding process. The new Australia surf park, once finished, is billed to be the largest surf park in the Southern Hemisphere.
The first Western Australia surf park will sit on a 5.7-hectare plot of land in Jandakot, a southern suburb of Perth. Adjacent to the Cockburn Train Station, the surf park will feature a Wavegarden Cove surf lagoon, boutique surf hotel, health and wellness center, co-working offices, event space, a performance academy, beach club, and restaurants.
Perth Surf Park Will Be Southern Hemisphere’s Largest
Aventuur’s Co-Founder and CEO, Nicholas Edelman, stated, “We’ve assembled the most experienced team in the industry, we’ve partnered with Wavegarden, the leading provider of wave-generating technology globally, and have engaged Perth-based architects, engineers and consultants to ensure we bring the best surfing experience to the West.”
Wavegarden, based out of Spain, as we’ve previously reported, generates waves at several surf parks around the world, including a couple that have opened this year, Praia da Grama in São Paulo and Alaïa Bay in Sion, Switzerland.
Read on for the full press release.
Full Press Release From Aventuur
Global surf park developer and investor Aventuur, Inc. (Aventuur) has today been announced by the Western Australian Government as the preferred proponent to deliver an integrated surf park development in Perth.
Aventuur’s $80 million proposal was selected via a competitive bidding process undertaken by the Western Australian Government, with the involvement of departments and agencies across tourism, sport, lands, planning and transport.
The next-generation surf park will be the largest in the Southern Hemisphere, sitting on a 5.7-hectare site at Prinsep Road in Jandakot, adjacent to the Kwinana Freeway and the Cockburn Train Station. Featuring a Wavegarden ‘Cove’ surfing lagoon, boutique surf hotel, health and wellness centre, co- working offices, functions and events spaces, performance academy, beach club and restaurants, the integrated development will provide Perth with an innovative surf sports, recreation, leisure and entertainment hub just a short drive south from the CBD.
The company’s experienced delivery team is headed up by Perth-based Andrew Ross, Aventuur’s Chairman and Chief Development Officer. Andrew is the Founder and former Executive Chairman of the company that developed Australia’s first surf park in Melbourne, which also features Wavegarden ‘Cove’ technology.
Commenting on the announcement, Andrew said, “We’re incredibly excited to have won the bid to build a world-class surf park in Perth. This moment has been almost a decade in the making for me. To bring a surf park to my hometown has always been my dream, and I’m stoked it’s now becoming a reality.”
“Surfing is a deeply ingrained part of Perth’s beachside culture, but access to consistent, high-quality waves is limited, and marine hazards can be intimidating for newcomers and beginners. Our surf park proposal will overcome these challenges, as well as providing opportunities for tourism, active recreation, sports development, and the creation of jobs.”
“From years of consumer research, and after looking at numerous site options, we know Perth is only able to support one commercially viable surf park. The WA State Government deserves a lot of credit for facilitating a competitive process to objectively achieve the best result possible for the local community, but also for the environment.”
“The decision to choose Aventuur to build Perth’s surf park will see the latest generation of Wavegarden’s ‘Cove’ technology deployed locally, which delivers the best man-made surfing experiences possible, while also being the most energy efficient technology available in the market.
“I’d like to thank all of our families and friends for the belief they have maintained over the years, and also the City of Cockburn, Perth surfers, and the wider WA surfing community that continue to support us,” Andrew added.
Commenting on the announcement, Aventuur’s Co-Founder and CEO, Nicholas Edelman said “Delivering a world-class surf park for Perth is our number one priority, and we’re thrilled the State Government has selected our proposal as its preferred model.”
“We’ve assembled the most experienced team in the industry, we’ve partnered with Wavegarden, the leading provider of wave-generating technology globally, and have engaged Perth-based architects, engineers and consultants to ensure we bring the best surfing experience to the West,” said Nicholas.
“I’m just so stoked for Andrew – we headhunted him last year because of his unrivalled experience and local knowledge. Together, we’ll achieve his long-held dream of building a surf park in his hometown for everyone to enjoy,” Nicholas added.
Aventuur will now work collaboratively with the Western Australian Government to finalise all commercial arrangements, including agreeing a long-term ground lease over the site. The company’s project team will then determine all development approval requirements and set out construction milestones. Aventuur will engage with community organisations, local stakeholders and project partners to ensure its supply chain delivers the maximum benefit to the Western Australian economy.
- Aventuur Inc. has today been announced by the Western Australian Government as the preferred proponent to deliver a surf park in Perth.
- Aventuur’s $80 million proposal was selected through a competitive bidding process that involved multiple government departments and agencies across tourism, sport, planning and transport.
- The surf park is proposed for a 5.7-hectare site on Prinsep Road, Jandakot, adjacent to the Kwinana Freeway and the Cockburn Train Station.
- The development will feature a Wavegarden ‘Cove’ surfing lagoon, a boutique surf hotel, a health and wellness centre, co-working offices, functions and events spaces, a surf performance academy, as well as a beach club and restaurants.
- Aventuur’s experienced delivery team includes Perth-based Andrew Ross, who prior to joining the company led the development of Australia’s first surf park in Melbourne, which also used Wavegarden ‘Cove’ technology.
- Aventuur, Inc. is a global surf park developer and investor, with its APAC offices located in Perth, Western Australia and its American offices in Los Angeles, CA.
- Aventuur holds the exclusive rights to the market-leading Wavegarden ‘Cove’ surf park technology for Australia (excluding Melbourne and Sydney metro areas), New Zealand, Singapore and Fiji, and is Wavegarden’s largest partner globally.
- Aventuur has assembled the most experienced team in the surf park industry to deliver world- class, integrated developments, including its Perth-based Chairman and Chief Development Officer, Andrew Ross.
- Wavegarden is a cutting-edge engineering company based in Northern Spain that is dedicated to the research, design, manufacture, installation, and operational support of wave- generating systems within man-made surfing lagoons.
- Wavegarden is widely considered the market leader for its technology solutions in the rapidly emerging sector of dynamic artificial waves, with five surfing lagoons utilising the ‘Cove’ wave generator currently operational across four continents.
- Offering a wide variety of waves between 0.5m-2.0m in height, the Wavegarden ‘Cove’ caters to surfers of all ages, abilities and board preference and can host upwards of 80 surfers simultaneously.
- The Wavegarden ‘Cove’ wave generator uses approximately nine times (9x) less electricity than competing wave-generating technologies per wave produced, delivering superior environmental outcomes and reducing operating costs.